Miles Tracker

Sunday 13 April 2014

Toronto 10K Race Kit Pick Up

Hello,

Well I picked up my race kit today for the Toronto Yonge Street 10K which will be on Sunday morning.

They are closing down most of Yonge Street for this great 10K race with Canada Running Series. This race has been running for 26 years now, it has had many names over the years.

I have been in this race twice since my heart attack. The first year was in 2010 where I just walked and power walked the race and it felt amazing with my wife and friends waiting at the finish line. Then in 2012, I did it again looking to have a PB again and I power walked and jogged (shuffled) my way down Yonge Street and making it towards the finish line.

That year, I was on my way to doing it but there was an older man shuffling his way to the finish line as well, but about a km away I noticed him leaning way too much over and then he fell right in front of me.  I stopped, picked him up as he was trying to get back to his feet. I got him to sit on the curb for a few minutes and looked around for help, but no one was there.  He said I need to finish this, so I helped him up and I said I will walk with you to the finish line. Well we walked and then he started to shuffle again and getting faster, then down he went again. We can see the finish line just up the road at this point and he got up again. Then I said lets just walk so he agreed. As we were walking his son had seen what was going on and he came running up to us and held on to him and told me to just finish and he would get him there.  The man finished the race and it was good to see that he was okay after seeing the medical staff on site.

That race was also the first one that my wife had entered into as well along with a friend of hers. I waited at the finish line for her to finish and then we saw our friend crossing as well.

So, this year I am really looking to finish in about 1:10:00 hopefully this will really cut my time down. 2010 was 1:33:34 and 2012 was a 1:21:59.

Back to picking up the race kit. Small little expo but it was very nice to look at some new product that was there, like the Garmin 910XT which I REALLY REALLY want to get sometime in the future. This nice gizmo can be used while you are swimming without putting it under you swim cap. A lot of freebies in the kit bag a nice tech shirt good colours and a COOL Max Hat,  in 2012 was Orange with the 10K logo on it. Not a big fan of the colour orange so it sits in the closet most of the time until it is the last shirt to wear. Here is a photo of the shirt, bib and hat.


Richard Borrow, Damaged Hearts In Motion, Race Kit
Toronto 10K Yonge Street Kit

Well off to bed now, let you know how the race goes (personally) not going to be winning anything except hopefully raising funds for the Heart & Stroke. Well the 500 mile season will be really kicking off with this one and then it will be a busy schedule for the next 2 months.

I have new shirts for all my races this year, the unveiling will be in the next post. I will take sponsors to put on there logos, for a donation to the Heart & Stroke Foundation if Corp or person wants to help  out the HSF. You can email me.

Damaged Heart


No comments:

Post a Comment