Miles Tracker

Thursday 6 February 2014

Snowy Day and Training

Hello everyone! 

Yesterday was a bit of a Snow Day here in Toronto. We had a dump load, but it was nice to see snow finally since for the past 5 years we have not had that much snow for the winter season. I know people are complaining about when will this ever end. Get over it people, this is Canada and it is winter time.  Ivana was out using the snowblower yesterday as I have had a problem with the strength in my left arm. Over the past few months, the strength and usage of my arm and hand have been going down hill. Waiting on doctors, having tests performed but can't have the MRI due to the Stent in my heart, so now the testing will take longer to figure out what the problem is. So shovelling is a little difficult with one arm and using my foot to kick up the shovel to toss the snow, but Ivana is liking the snowblower as we have had to use it quite a bit.

This is the snow around the house that fell yesterday


and then around 5 o'clock in the evening, this was a fantastic sight to see. The snow stopped around 3pm.


So onto yesterday's training. As you know Ironman New Orleans 70.3 is coming up in April, so a lot of the training is for that right now, which should be able to give me the endurance and practice to start with the 5k, ½ marathon and then onto New Orleans. 

Yesterday was swimming again (which is almost everyday now) as I have a coach just trying in the beginning to help me figure out a way to swim with the one arm as I can't get it to come over the top or even keep up with my right arm speed. So a lot of time is spent trying different strokes and a lot of leg strengthening to overcome the left arm.   

Swimming is going well though, should be able to complete the swim portion, depending on my wave entry.  After the swim yesterday, was indoor running stationary (5.4 miles) as the snow is getting to much. 

This weekend, on Sunday, is the Valentine's 5K in Burlington which will start the 500 mile trek to my goal for 2014 and to help raise funds for the Heart & Stroke Foundation. Ivana is sort of ready for it as she and I  are doing this one together. She will be there with me for my 500 mile trek, but won't be doing them. She has said that this is my goal not hers, but will be helping along the way. She is a major supporter. I have my donation page set up with the Heart & Stoke Foundation yesterday as well. Enza from HSF has been fantastic on helping me.  If anyone is wanting to donate you can click here or on the Heart & Stroke Foundation logo on the right hand side of the page and it will take you to my page on the HSF site and they have a secure donation link.

Have a great weekend and I will be back on Monday with an update from the Valentine's 5K

Damaged Heart (Rick)


No comments:

Post a Comment